Brisbane’s ultimate leafy and breezy suburb, Ashgrove, is difficult to surpass if you are a looking for a home in a friendly neighbourhood only 4km from the CBD. Popular with professionals and families and home to some of Brisbane’s finest schools and sporting clubs, it’s hard to get a better quality of life than in Ashgrove.
Boasting a treasure-trove of parks, world-class sporting fields, pockets of native bushland, bike-paths and wildlife-filled creeks, Ashgrove residents have it all when it comes to a top-notch outdoor living lifestyle.
Ashgrove remains largely a suburb of detached single-dwelling houses on large-sized blocks with many charming ‘timber and tin’, character Queenslander homes. What is unique to Ashgrove, though, is a special style of Queenslander, called the Ashgrovian. These are an elevated bungalow-style house with several smaller gables than a traditional Queenslander and a large staircase leading up to the verandah.
Stylish, contemporary houses are also becoming part of Ashgrove’s property landscape with the rising trend for larger lots being split. Unlike other nearby suburbs, though, Ashgrove has not seen an increase in the number of residential apartments being built.
The suburb is currently in a renovation-blitz with renovators spending $26.3m on their homes during the year to May 2021 according to building approval data from the ABS. This makes Ashgrove residents the second highest spenders in Brisbane on home renovations.
Compared to the Queensland average of 849 visits per property on realestate.com.au, properties in Ashgrove see around 1,678 visits per property. The average house price for a five-bedroom property in Ashgrove is sitting at $1,552,000. Houses in Ashgrove are in demand with a five-bedroom house price increasing 12.9% from 2020-2021. Ashgrove is one of Brisbane’s top suburbs for house price growth this past decade rising an incredible 76.6%.
Why We Love Ashgrove
Ashgrove is one of those suburbs that ticks all the boxes. It is brimming with conveniences in an easy-to-access location. Here a list of our top reasons why we love it so much:
- As well as being famous for its wide streets, bike paths, and green spaces (Ashgrove has 22 parks in total that cover nearly 12.4% of the total suburb area), Ashgrove’s hilly terrain provides local homeowners with spectacular city views and welcoming breezes in Brisbane’s sub-tropical summers.
- Gyms, health-care specialists, banks, shopping options and most of high-quality schools are all available in Ashgrove. There are so many great schools in and near Ashgrove including Ashgrove State School, Ithaca Creek State School, Oakleigh State School, St Finbarr’s School, Mater Dei, Mt St Michael’s College and Marist College Ashgrove.
- Ashgrove has a strong sporting history producing quite a few famous rugby and cricket legends so it makes sense that it would be home to one of the largest and oldest rugby and cricket clubs in Australia, GPS Rugby Club and Valley District Cricket Club. But that’s not all Ashgrove has to offer for its close-knit community. It also has Ashgrove Golf Club – an 18-hole golf course with views of the stunning Taylor Range hinterland, Ashgrove Bowls Club – a family-friendly barefoot bowls club, Taylor Range Country Club – a familyfriendly recreational club with swimming pools, tennis courts, squash courts, and BBQs, Northern Suburbs Hockey Club, Ashgrove Park Run and Ashgrove Kids Park Run.
- It’s not all trees, sport and parks, though, Ashgrove also has a number of cafes, upmarket bakeries, wine bars, restaurants and delightful shops dispersed throughout Central Ashgrove, West Ashgrove, Dorrington and St John’s Wood. Some local favourites include the Wine & Larder Bistro, a French-style wine-bar, Banneton, an artisan bakery and Marche du Macaron, a macaron and pastry café.
- Finally, not every suburb can claim the hosting rights to the hottest event of Brisbane’s social calendar. Ashgrove’s Dorrington Park is host to Brisbane’s Polo In The City – part of the Urban Polo circuit – which is the largest national polo series in the world. Glamour, gourmet hospitality and polo talent are right at home in Ashgrove!
Thinking about buying property in Ashgrove? We are a specialist Brisbane Buyer’s Agent and are more than happy to have a chat. Please contact us to see if Ashgrove is the right suburb for you.