Chelmer is on the south side of a bend in the Brisbane River, opposite Indooroopilly and 7km south-west of central Brisbane. It is one of Brisbane’s premier and most beautiful riverside suburbs, boasting Brisbane’s so-called best street: the exclusive Laurel Avenue. As its name implies, Laurel Avenue (and many other streets in Chelmer) is home to magnificent heritage-listed camphor laurel trees (some over 100 years old).
Dining, shopping and entertainment facilities are plentiful in neighbouring suburbs, Graceville and Indooroopilly. Chelmer is connected to Indooroopilly by the heritage-listed Walter Taylor Bridge. Among Chelmer’s local amenities is a railway station (providing easy and direct access to the city and the rest of Brisbane), Milpera State High School, Metropolitan South Institute of TAFE (Chelmer campus), the Oxley Sailing Club and Western Magpies AFL Club. There is a Bowls Club and Croquet Club in the neighbouring suburb, Graceville.
Chelmer was released for European settlement in 1851. In the 1860s, the land was subdivided and taken up by farmers who sent their crops to Brisbane by boat. The suburb developed as a semi-rural outpost and became less isolated when the railway line to Roma Street was established in 1876. Substantial homes were built for professionals and businessman in the area on expansive grounds as a sign of their wealth. Many of these grand homes on estates still exist today. Chelmer is prized for its picturesque leafy streets, grand old Queenslanders, river aspects and riverside breezes. This blue-chip suburb has more than its fair share of generous-sized blocks and exceptional heritage homes.
Why We Love Chelmer
Chelmer is a cherished suburb of Brisbane. Here a list of our top reasons why we love it so much:
- It is steeped in history and is home to so many historically significant and stately homes.
- It has its own train station, and this gives residents a speedy and convenient mode of transport that so many suburbs in Brisbane lack. It also has reliable bus routes.
- There is a real sense of community spirit throughout Chelmer. The residents of Chelmer share a real sense of pride and passion for their neighbourhood.
- It has high quality schools nearby including Graceville State School, Sherwood State School, St Peter’s Lutheran College, Brigidine College, and Indooroopilly State High School.
- It has great parks all around including Powenyenna Oval, Graceville Memorial Park, Gordon Thompson Park, Chelmer Park, Sherwood Arboretum and Sherwood Forest Park.
- Shopping, dining, and cinema experiences are just a short distance away at Graceville and Indooroopilly.
Thinking about buying property in Chelmer? We are a specialist Brisbane Buyer’s Agent and are more than happy to have a chat. Please contact us to see if Alderley is the right suburb for you.