Toowong is a bustling northwest inner Brisbane suburb located adjacent to the Brisbane River and very close to Brisbane city. A highly sought-after place to live for both families and professionals due to its convenient location, riverside lifestyle, good schools, shopping village, cafes and abundance of green spaces. Located only five kilometres from the city and situated between St Lucia, Auchenflower and Indooroopilly, locals are fortunate to have every amenity imaginable nearby including a hospital, university, and plenty of shopping and dining options. Toowong has gone from strength to strength over the years and with all it has to offer families there’s every reason to see why. Toowong is one of the only suburbs that has access to all forms of mass transit including city cat, train and bus all beside a regional shopping centre – Toowong Village.
Not only is Toowong home to some of the best schools in Brisbane there is even more great schools to choose from in neighbouring suburbs. Toowong families are blessed when it comes to matters of education and it remains one of the main reasons why families choose Toowong as their home. Schools located in and near Toowong include:
- Toowong State School
- Queensland Academy for Science, Mathematics and Technology
- St Ignatius School
- Stuartholme School
- Brisbane Boys’ College
Toowong offers perfect family living in a prime inner-city position with a blend of old-world charming and gracious Queenslander homes with picturesque city views in prestigious pockets, worker’s cottages, older style unit complexes and contemporary riverfront apartments. Homes in Toowong are highly sought after and competition to get a foothold into Toowong is strong.
Why We Love Toowong
Toowong is undoubtedly one of Brisbane’s best family suburbs. Here is a list of our top reasons why we love it so much:
- The suburb is home to some top schools and nearby to lots more options in neighbouring suburbs. As well as being easily located near the University of Queensland St Lucia campus, high quality education is a unifying force that draws families into Toowong.
- Locals never have to venture too far from home. Everything they need is on their doorstep including a shopping centre with 200 stores and dining outlets, the historical Regatta Hotel, the Royal Exchange Hotel, cafes galore including The Gunshop Cafe, Nowhere Espresso, and the Corner Store Café. There’s even a community garden for locals who are into gardening and want to learn about organic food growing.
- A new State Development Corporation $450 million development is underway in Toowong town centre called The Aviary which will include Toowong’s tallest residential tower, retail including Harris Farm Markets which is planning a state-of-the-art fresh food outlet, hospitality and entertainment including a cinema, a new office tower, shared outdoor spaces and new public streetscape plaza area. When finished, the development will further enhance the liveability of Toowong making it a self-sufficient hub.
- There is no shortage of parks and green spaces for Toowong families to relax and get active in including: Perrin Park, Anzac Park, Toowong Memorial Park, Archer Street Park, Miskin Street Park, Patrick Lane Park, Toowong Memorial Park – home to Wests Bulldogs Rugby, and Dunmore Park – home to the Toowong Football club. If that’s not enough, the Botanic Gardens and Mt Cootha Forest are also on Toowong’s doorstep – havens for families to escape to on weekends.
- With the city so close and well connected, Toowong residents can easily cycle there or take a 8 minute bus ride or 9 minute train ride from Toowong train station.
- Keen local cyclists, walkers and runners can make use of the Bicentennial Bikeway – a scenic 5km off-road bikeway stretching from Toowong to the Brisbane CBD and running alongside the Brisbane River.
Thinking about buying property in Toowong? We are a specialist Toowong Buyer’s Agent and are more than happy to have a chat. Please contact us to see if Toowong is the right suburb for you.